Lean but not too skinny, and not to muscly either. Slim hips, cellulite free and toned thighs, small calves, skinny ankles… When it comes to talking about our legs, we seem to have what we want pretty clear.
We all have different body types and are genetically predisposed to store fat in different areas in our bodies. However, studies show there is direct correlation between the type of foods we eat and where in our bodies we store body fat.
So, if you are already working out hard, drinking clean filtered water and eating healthy, but have been finding it hard to shift fat in your lower body, there are certain “magical” foods that may help you finally get the lean legs you’ve been yearning for.
Because hormones dictate fat burning, if you have a tendency to store fat around your hip and thigh area, you may be suffering from The Estrogen Effect. Researchers believe that there has been a substantial increase of estrogenic and estrogen-like chemicals in our environment. Because of the high prevalence of these chemicals, women and men are becoming over feminized (do “manboobs” ring a bell?); contributing to decreased sperm counts, increased infertility, and increased hormonal toxins stored in our body fat.
According to Ori Hofmekler (Author of The Anti-Estrogen Diet and The Warrior Diet), there are several anti-estrogenic components in foods we eat every day that help mitigate the effects of these chemicals in our environment.
By eating more of these foods, you’ll be able to detoxify some of these estrogens from the body and reduce stubborn lower body fat, balance your hormones, and even reduce the risks of cancer.
5 Foods For Lean Legs, and Happy Faces!
- Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage – highly anti-estrogenic vegetables. Choose organic when possible. Eat them raw, lightly steamed, or in curries and watch your hips and thighs shrink!
- Citrus Fruits – contain bioflavonoids like rutin and quercitin, which are best known for their antioxidant cancer fighting properties. Use lemon and lime in your cooking, or add them to hot water or herbal teas
- Herbs – resveratrol, passionflower, chamomile, green tea extract, milk thistle and turmeric (use this in Thai or Indian style curries) are all powerful herbs that help the body detoxify harmful environmental estrogens.
- Nuts – especially brazil nuts, almonds, and pecan nuts or walnuts. Stay away from peanuts!
- Avocado and free-range eggs – these provide essential Omega-3 fatty acids for reducing the inflammation caused by the excessive Omega-6 fatty acids found in processed and packaged foods.